His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Interior, Head of the Council of Political and Security Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Chairman of the Supreme Council of Naif Arab University for Security Sciences.
Birth and Early Life
His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdulaziz was raised in a solid political ruling environment. He is one of the grandsons of the late King Abdulaziz Al-Saud and is the son of His Royal Highness the late Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud. He is the Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister, and Minister of Interior; he is one of the most important people in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. His Royal Highness has a high level of experience in politics, security, and administration and is one of the most prominent people in the world in the field of security and humanitarian work.
His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Naif bin Abdulaziz was born in Jeddah on 30th August 1959 and is the second son of the late Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz – May God have mercy upon him. His mother is Princess Jawharah bint Abdulaziz bin Musaid Al-Saud. His Royal Highness is married to Reemah bint Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud and has two children, Princess Sarah and Princess Lulua.
Education and Experience
- His Royal Highness received his primary, secondary, and high school education in Riyadh.
- His Royal Highness then continued his studies at university level in the USA, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science in 1981.
- His Royal Highness has also received advanced military based training and education connected to security affairs and counter-terrorism both outside and inside Saudi Arabia.
- He gained a vast amount of political, administrative, and communicative experience from his father and the political and ruling environment in which he was raised. This also gave him a deep knowledge of the public and how to effectively communicate with citizens, intellectuals, politicians, and diplomats who used to meet with his father, Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz, in his public and private gatherings and through the many visits he made to different countries outside of the Kingdom.
- His experience in the private sector before 1998 provided a rich experience in economics, finance, and trade both inside and outside the Kingdom. During this period, he also gained many different communication skills through dealing with different staff in this active and influential field in affairs related to the state and the individual.
Positions and Tasks
- A Royal Decree was issued on 13th of May 1999 appointing His Royal Highness as Assistant to the Minister of Interior.
- A Royal Decree was issued on 5th November 2012 appointing His Royal Highness as the Minister of Interior.
- A Royal Decree was issued on 29th January 2015 appointing His Royal Highness as the Head of the Council of Political and Security Affairs.
- A Royal Decree was issued on 29th April 2015 appointing His Royal Highness as Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister, and Minister of Interior.
- His Royal Highness was adorned by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques the late King Fahad bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud with the King Faisal Ribbon on 6th of March 2001 for his planning and administration of the successful security operation to save passengers on the hijacked Russian airplane in the Prince Muhammad bin Abdulaziz Airport in Madina.
- His Royal Highness was adorned by the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques the late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud with the King Abdulaziz Ribbon of the First Level on 6th September 2009 for exceptional work in his field.
- His Royal Highness was appointed as a member in the National Committee for Narcotics Control on 1st August 2006.
- A Royal Decree was issued on 16th November 2009 appointing His Royal Highness as a member in the Permanent Committee of the Economic Council.
- Deputy President of the High Committee for the Naif bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud Prize for the Prophetic Sunnah and Contemporary Islamic Studies.
- The Honorary President of the Council of Arab Interior Ministers
- President of the High Committee for Hajj
- President of the High Committee for Industrial Security
- President of the High Council for Civil Defense
- Honorary President of the National Association for Retirees
- President of the National Committee for Narcotics Control
- Honorary President of the National Commission for the Care of Inmates, Released Prisoners, and Their Families
- President of the Supreme Council of Naif Arab University for Security Sciences from 05/11/2012
- President of the Supreme Council of King Fahad Security College
- Sponsor of the Mohammed bin Naif Chair for Traffic Safety
- Established the Mohammed Bin Naif Counseling and Care Center
- His Royal Highness has overseen a number of Saudi Arabian aid and relief committees and operations to help needy people in Palestine, Somalia, Syria, East Asia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Lebanon.
- His Royal Highness has overseen plans and strategies to counter terrorism and its activities with the firmest resolve and highest capability. His success in this has been praised locally, regionally, and on an international scale. Many countries have benefitted from the experience of Saudi Arabia that has been provided by His Royal Highness.
- His Royal Highness has participated in a number of security related conferences and meetings outside of Saudi Arabia and has made a number of visits to a number of countries that were related to security affairs and counter-terrorism.
- His Royal Highness led a complete development and update of all of the sectors of the Ministry of Interior according to the requirements of security work to strengthen the capabilities of the security sectors and raise the performance of their work.
- His Royal Highness participated in the Saudi-Emirati meeting between Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud Crown Prince and Deputy Prime Minister the Minister of Defence and Aviation the Inspector General and the Emirati delegation that was headed by Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan when he was Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces on 02/07/2010.
- His Royal Highness was part of the Saudi Arabian delegation that visited Iran and was headed by the late Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz. It was a historical visit during which the Saudi-Iranian Security Agreement was signed that aims to combat organized crime, international terrorism, weapons smuggling and money laundering on 17th April 2001.
- His Royal Highness led the largest development operation of the structure and tasks of the security sectors in the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Interior according to the most modern and up-to-date foundations by employing new technologies and academic studies. This included the development of the following vital sectors:
General Directorate of Investigation
Special Security Forces
General Directorate of Public Security
General Directorate of Civil Defence
General Directorate of Passports
General Directorate of King Fahad Security College
General Directorate of Prisons
National Information Center
General Administration for Ideological Security
General Directorate of Narcotics Control
General Directorate for Border Guards Humanitarian Concerns
- His Royal Highness oversees and follows up the work of a number of committees and campaigns dedicated to aid and relief to lessen the harm experienced by people afflicted by disasters in a number of countries and to meet their necessary needs.
- His Royal Highness closely follows the affairs of prisoners and their families and the families of those people who have been involved in terrorist activities.
- His Royal Highness follows what is published in the media regarding people with special needs and takes the initiative to end their problems and actualize their requests.
- His Royal Highness is keen to keep up-to-date with the state of security personnel who are working in difficult environments and to lessen their difficulties and to provide those who are sick or injured with the treatment they require.
- His Royal Highness concerns himself with the needs and requests of citizens and residents who visit the Ministry of Interior and seeks to solve their problems within the framework of the law. He is keen to inform them that they may follow up their needs without need to visit the Ministry again by using the latest and most modern means of communication.
- His Royal Highness has a special concern for the youth of society and protecting them from the dangers of terrorism, deviation, and drugs and helping their families to protect them from delinquency.
- His Royal Highness supports humanitarian initiatives and sincere charitable works.
- His Royal Highness has a big concern for those who have died performing their duties and those who have been afflicted in the fight against terrorism and other security work and their families. He is concerned with their care and bearing their financial burdens and providing what they and their families need of accommodation and facilitating the education of their children to be able to support their families in the future.
Ideological and Cultural Interests
- His Royal Highness generally follows all types of knowledge and sciences and in particular those that are directly related to security affairs.
- His Royal Highness follows the media in all its forms and the content that affects security and is concerned with substantive discourse and well-aimed constructive criticism.
- He has a great concern for precise information that is free from bias and personal preference as a basis for policy making.
- He strives to employ scientific and technical accomplishments to develop performance in the security sector and to provide stability in society.
He practices the art of shooting and hunting. His father, the late Prince Naif bin Abdulaziz, was one of the most prominent pioneers of this traditional Arab hobby and His Royal Highness would accompany his father during hunting trips.
His Royal Highness swims as a sporting hobby and practices marksmanship.
He has an interest in equestrianism and follows this traditional Arabic sport.
Many sporting events are followed by His Royal Highness.